Saturday, August 30, 2014

IMLOU

I have not blogged in a while so I thought I would today. We just finished Ironman Louisville last sunday and what an experience that was for me. I had an amazing time. It was my very first WTC even but my fifth 140.6. Everyone says you are not an Ironman until you do one of these. I have to totally disagree. 140.6 is 140.6 no matter how you look at it. I do not feel the event was any different other than the red carpet. I do have to say that Louisville has some amazing volunteers. I am so happy that we were able to do it.


So lets start with the swim. I can swim but the swims always seem to freak me out. We were allowed to have a practice swim on Saturday and I was told that the damn was open and that the rain make the current very strong. Of course this was after I got in swam 13 min one direction and it took me 3 min to swim the exact same distance back. Wow that freaked me out as I watched all the other swimmers still in the water going no where. I thought how in the world is this going to work tomorrow. I was informed by many people who had done it before that they will close the damn the day of the race and that the island that we swim by will help protect us. This sure did not make me feel that comfortable that my swim time was going to suck. But I kept breathing (my relaxation  method) The water was dark and we were not in the ocean so I also knew this would help with some of my other anxiety issues. I figured no sharks or gators could get me and I could not really see anything that could freak me out. So all in all it couldn't be that bad right. Well as the line started to roll that Sunday morning my husband gave me a kiss and he took off and jumped into the water. I tried to keep up with him as we said we were going to jump in together but he is always faster at everything, lol. So I jumped in and jumped in to sludge, yuck. Both of my feet felt like I was knee deep in gross moss. As I swam many people were at both my sides, some breast stroking the entire thing. I kept getting kicked and grabbed. Someone even had there fingers lodged in my wedding band and it almost came off.  My focus was to get around the island and pace myself. I needed to get to the tip and use all the energy I had to get around the island then I knew it would open up and calm down. And it did. I swam my best swim time other than at BTB which had a great current so I don't count it lol. As I got out of the water however, the volunteer skipped over me and grabbed the person behind me and I sunk and could not get my legs on the ladder to get out. I was head under the water and no one helped me out. I still made it but really hello. This was also my first 140.6 where I did not wear a wet suite.



So now we change out of the skin and jump on the bike right. Well I tried to get some sunscreen on as I ran out of the changing tent and had the guy only use what he had on his hands at the time and put on my shoulders because I did not want to waist any time the bike is my slowest part and I knew those hills were going to kill me so I needed to get on my bike asap and go. We drove the course on Friday and I freaked out about the hills I had estimated before we got there that this would be my longest 112 miles at about 7-730 hrs but after we drove it I was adding another hour if not more. OMG those hills are going to kill me is all I thought. But on race day I tried to stay calm and remember that I had to be safe and take it easy on the first loop. So I went out and rode. On the first out and back there was all hills the biggest hills and they were winding. As I climbed a really big hill I saw a grim reaper and a little devil. There were three people there but this is all my mind could remember. The grim reaper gave me some great pointers for this girl who does not do hills. He said sit up and spin. I love this man for the rest of my life. He saved my legs and made it so much easier!! It was up and down up and down from there until the end. Over 5000 ft of climbing the most I had ever done. I wanted off my bike at mile 50 and I still had so much more to go. At about mile 80 I started to feel sick and could not understand it. I tried everything, I drank more water took my pills, had my nutrition and even tried to stretch my neck. Nothing seemed to work so I chalked it up to just needing to get off my bike. It had been overcast and I never really felt hot on the bike so I could not think of anything else it could be. So I rolled into town and started to think how am I going to run with these legs great this is going to be fun and oh how I feel so sick great.




So I had walk from where I handed my bike off to where I grab my stuff and change  -my legs were so weak. I had a great lady who helped me change and put my calf sleeves on and I was off. Off to the porta-potty because I had not gone in hours. So after that then I realized it was time to move. I jogged out of transition and down the winding road to where the others were running.  All I could think of was wow here goes and oh please stomach feel better. I got this far and yes I saw yellow butterflies that got me that far and I needed to finish. So as I ran I kept thinking keep it together. I jogged ,yes jogged because this was no way a run, to each water station taking water and ice as well as a sip of coke. Each water station got worst my stomach felt bloated and now I started to feel like I was going to poop my pants and throw up all at the same time. Then came the chills and I thought ,ok lets be smart about this. I saw my husband out on the run course and really wanted to catch up to him since he was walking due to a broken toe prior to the race. However, I never could catch him. But I did get to kiss him once. When I finally threw up into my water cup I realized I had to just finish not worry about my time or how bad it was but finish, finish up right and not be taken off the course. People were dropping left and right and ambulances were taking people off the course like crazy. Later my husband told me that if you stopped they came up to you and rushed you off. I am so glad I remember to just keep moving forward. Forward movement gets you to the finish line. My motto is I will finish and I will finish on my own accord not one is going to help me or take me off the course. This is an individual sport I train that way and I race that way. My husband and I have an agreement, race smart I am not picking you up in medical or the hospital but I will meet you at the finish line. I ended up walking quite a bit after that and meet a wonderful man who had just finished IM Canada - wow that was just a few weeks ago and they had mountains is all I could think. As I walked I just tried to keep a good pace and not get sick any more. I could not drink or eat anything I felt like my body was cooking from the inside out and when the sun set it felt hot out side. I even felt like I had been crying in my chest. Weird I know. I just could never catch my breath I guess, sorta like after a good hard cry.  So as Dom and I were getting closer to the finish line we made a plan to run the famous red carpet. I was tired and just wanted to be done. This was my slowest one yet. However, my most challenging one. As we crossed that finish line a volunteer sweeps you up and takes you away, Dom patted me on the back and said great job and I did to him as well. I see my lovely husband sore from his run on a fracture big toe smile at me from the fence. I take my picture they make you take and go to him. I love that we do these together. I love that he is always at the finish line waiting on me. He is my strength! I am so happy that we got the chance to do this race. I so would have loved to have not let the dehydration take my fun for me. This just makes me want to do it again. I really did enjoy the course and would recommend it to anyone who would like a challenge. We both got done that night and said we were going to take a year off. Knowing us I said ya right lets wait tell tomorrow and see what we say. Yep we woke up and started to plan Naples Hits cause that is what we do. I love our life. xxoo



1 comment:

  1. You are awesome ! You have so much strength, determination and charge on attitude. You have no idea how much strength I pull from you. I am very happy for you and even more so that you are not being hard on yourself about this race. W got many more and this was one to build off of. Love you

    ReplyDelete