Friday, June 21, 2013
best and worst run of my life
I woke up late today because of an alarm mishap. I was gonna run in the morning and in the evening either attempt a bike ride or swim. Well due to the fact that I refuse to run no less than two days during the week and one on the weekend I had to just run tonight. When I was done at work I was so mentally exhausted and also lacking any energy I was not sure the two bars I downed at 4 to prepare me for my run was gonna be enough. It looked like rain by work so I decided I would get home and run there just in case the weather got really bad. I also decided to convince my 15 year old daughter that she needed to run too. I told her that she could join and then just go home when she was ready but that she should at least try a mile. For goodness sake I told her I run slow it is not like you are running with Shaun or your brother. So she decided to join me. The minute I stepped out the door and started to run I wanted to stop. Every muscle in my body was rejecting every step I took. But I had my little girl right behind me and I thought to myself... just one mile don't show weakness. So I chug along acting like I was going even slower for her. She tired to stay behind me and I was not sure why. She sure did not know about drafting so I figured she was just trying to disappear. So when she decided to walk some I told her I would loop around and come back until we finally got near the house and I knew she was done. She dropped off with about a mile done for her, but I was at 1.8. I though.... ok Nadine you never go less than 3-4 miles on a short run so hang in there and just finish it out. I left her and trudged on. Between the 2-3 mile mark I started to feel like I was going to pass out. I have had this happen to me one other time and I think it is a hyperglycemia reaction. I got weak and started to shake. I though great this is gonna end my run. As I contemplated turning around or moving forward I though this is that saying Shaun always says "I want to feel what it is like at mile 20 when........." and then I found out I was still just moving forward. slowing but still moving. I guess I had decided to see if I could just finish. My entire body was hurting weak and barley moving but my lungs never tired. It was the weirdest feeling. I ran passed this lady who looked great and made me feel even worse and I thought ugg. I will always be slow and why does she look so good. And thank god we are going the opposite direction because then she would know how slow I really am if she was passing me. Then I turned around and headed home. The direction she was already headed. A small part of me hoped she had to stop and take a break or was walking or anything. But nope, of course not she was long gone. I neared my house and had to do some loops around the front of the house to get my pathetic 6 miles done but I did it. In 90 degree weather and gut pains as well as no drive or energy but I did it. And at the end it made me realize I am stronger than I give myself credit for. I may not be able to run 6 min miles or ride my bike at 23 miles per hour but I get out there and put my time in and do my hard work just like those people. Sp it was a good run because it showed my what I am capable of and my daughter was with me for some of it. It was the worst run for obvious reasons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment